Ingredients (serves 2)
1 cup of yellow or red Red Lentils
2 medium Tomatoes
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1-2 Dried red Chilli (or use Green Chilli)
few Curry Leaves and few sprigs of Cilantro for garnish
2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil
1. Wash the lentils well in cold water until the water runs clear.(red Lentils tend to require more rinse if you are using this type )
2. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a saucepan and add onions and garlic along with a pinch salt and sauté for about 2 minutes .
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for another 2 minutes. (optional you can reserve a spoon of this salsa for garnish .
4. Add the lentils and 3 cups of water.
5. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes then Lower the heat , close with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
6. Once the lentils are cooked, give them a stir and adjust the amount of water if is necessary according to your preferences .
8. In another pan with coconut oil Add mustard seeds and when they start popping, add the cumin seeds , red chillies, and curry leaves. Once the seeds are fragrant and popping, remove from the heat.
9. Add it to the dal. Give it a quick stir and serve hot ,garnished with cilantro and little squeeze of lemon and optional some of the tomato salsa you reserved before , Serve with basmati rice , or any of your favorite Indian bread .